Carolina Butterfly Society emphasizes identifying and watching butterflies in the field and garden rather than collecting them. Every season we organize several butterflying field trips to the various biogeographic regions of the Carolinas. We offer advice on butterfly gardening, encourage photography and record-keeping, provide fact sheets for outdoor educators, sponsor gardening workshops, and collect data for conservation use.
The Carolina Butterfly Society includes
- Gardeners who like to attract butterflies to their flower, herb, or vegetable gardens
- Bird-watchers who have found a new focus for their enthusiasm
- Amateur naturalists who like to learn about all aspects of the natural world
- Photographers, artists, and crafts people who like to incorporate butterfly designs in such things as papermaking and graphic arts
- Professional biologists who are interested in collecting data on the butterfly fauna of the Carolinas
- Educators who teach in public schools, as well as in nature centers